Friday, December 17, 2010

Funky DIY Wreaths

I always told myself that the moment I started making WREATHS, I was an old fart.  Well, it looks like I finally made it to "old-fartdom" cause I've gone and done it. TWICE.  I must say, however, that no matter how many wreaths I make, I refuse to keep them like a pack rat.  You know what I'm talking about - think suburban queen who sets aside entire rooms for holiday decorations.  That will never be me.   This past Halloween, I'd found a straw wreath shape at Hobby Lobby, covered the sucker in a sickly looking green yarn (which takes about 1.5 episodes of Grey's Anatomy to do, if you were wondering) , and hot glued a haunting magnolia and other various subtly creepy things.  It served me well.



So then, it's not Halloween anymore.  So  what about this creepy little thing on my front door that looks like it belongs on some poor sap's casket? We do a this:

For the flowers I used brown coffee filters, tissue paper from a couple early Christmas presents I got this year, that magnolia from the last wreath, and some paper towels, which I am convinced look exactly like fabric when made into rosettes.

I colored the paper and magnolia with a wash of coral colored paint to match my Cupcake Paper Garland,

I'd never made tissue paper flowers before, so I improvised.  If you're interested, here's a fun technique: Peaches' Coffee Filter Flowers  I also didn't have any hot glue in the house, so you're looking at a feat of staples and string.  I'm MacGyver.

All of this - under $2.  Free if you're already stocked with these kitchen necessities ;)


In my search for wreath ideas, I came across some really fun ones I'd like to share with you if you're thinking of also becoming an old fart like me and feel like creating a wreath of your own! 

Merry Christmas!

Femina Girls

Living with Lindsay
Linda Made
Dana Barbieri
Take Heart
Pickles
Rock Scissor Paper
Craftapalooza
Kenneth Wingard
This Old House
Vintage Indie

2 comments: