Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Bacon Flavored Dog "Cookies"

I am (currently) en-route to Santa Barbara for this Holiday season (yay, beachy Christmas!). However, this kills me a little bit on the inside, because this is my pup Olive's first Christmas, and I won't be around to celebrate with her. To help alleviate this little bout of guilt in my gut, I thought I'd make her a quick treat of love and bacon (redundant?) to give to her as a little something special for Christmas.

  • 3 cups whole wheat flour 
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup bacon fat (or vegetable oil)
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 3 - 4 slices bacon, crumble
  • 1/2 cup cold water









Directions


  • Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.  Grease your pan with some vegetable oil.


  • Render your bacon fat by heating about 6-8 fatty pieces of bacon on medium heat until you've squeezed out as much fat as you can.  If you don't come up with enough, you can supplement the rest with vegetable oil.


 That.  Is bacon fat.

  • Mix all of your ingredients thoroughly.  I didn't have whole wheat flour, so I used all purpose instead.  They'll be fine.  As long as you don't give them a whole lot of the stuff, you don't have to worry about clogging their poor little doggie systems.




  • Flour up a cutting board and a rolling pin.  Roll out dough to 1/2 - 1/4" thickness.  Cut out with your cookie cutters.  Here, I used little gingerbread men (it IS the Christmas season, yes?)







  • With your bacon crumbles you used to render the fat, stick on some bacon buttons.  Don't worry, they won't burn when you bake them.  Just make sure you stick em in good or else they'll fall off.

  • Bake for about 35-40 min.  Let cool and watch them enjoy! :)

Love.

 

2 comments:

  1. Great idea!! Olive looks like she really enjoyed your gift to her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how perfectly 7up fits into the list of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete